- 1 large eggplant, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 15 pods fresh okra, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced (or to taste)
- chicken stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cup rice, cooked according to package directions, using chicken stock for liquid
Place vegetables and seasoning in a large stock pot. Cover with chicken stock and let simmer until vegetables are tender. Use enough stock to cover vegetables, plus 2 inches above them.
When vegetables are tender, place a spoonful of rice in a soup bowl and add a ladle of the gumbo mixture.