Recipe Note: Feel free to exchange some of the squash or cucumber for bell pepper strips.
- 3 medium summer squash of any variety
- 1 large cucumber, peeled if desired
- 3 cups green beans, trimmed and snapped into bite-sized pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and diced or 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- sea salt to taste
- Steam green beans until tender. Set aside to cool.
- Cut squash into noodles using either a spiral slicer, a julienne peeler, or by slicing long thin strips from the vegetables with your knife. Repeat using cucumber. If the cucumber doesn’t slice well due to the high water content, simply cut it into bite-sized pieces.
- Add sliced vegetables to medium-sized bowl and sprinkle with just a little bit of salt. Let stand 5-10 minutes. Squeeze as much excess moisture as you can out of vegetable noodles.
- Mix in green beans, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, red pepper flakes, turmeric, and sunflower seeds. Season gently with salt and mix well to combine.
- Taste and adjust salt and vinegar as desired. Serve as a main dish lunch salad alongside with some raw milk or cheese, or as a vegetable addition to a summer cook out spread.