- 2 bunches baby red beets, scrubbed (8 total; greens reserved for another use)
- 2 bunches baby Chioggia beets, scrubbed (8 total; greens reserved for another use)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 bunch Red Russian kale, trimmed and torn into pieces (7 cups)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 ounces mild goat cheese
Place beets in a large pot, and cover with water. Add enough salt so that the water tastes like the ocean, about 2 tablespoons. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until skins slip easily off beets, about 15 minutes. Drain. When cool enough to handle, peel beets. Cut red beets into quarters lengthwise and Chioggias into 1/2-inch rounds. Combine beets, 2 tablespoons oil, and the vinegar, and gently toss.
Place kale in a large bowl, and bruise very roughly with hands. Add 1 tablespoon oil, season with salt and pepper, and massage into leaves 1 minute. Add lemon juice, and toss.
To serve, make a bed of kale on a platter, and scatter beets on top. Crumble goat cheese into chunks, and scatter over salad. Season with pepper.